Thursday, March 30, 2006

Harvey's Cat

Yesterday I had a small breakdown because right beside the entrance to a Harvey's restaurant I saw a dead cat. He was lying there with his tongue hanging out and blood was oozing from his open stomach. I was angry because the person responsible for his death was obviously so intent on getting inside to have his meat fix that he hadn't noticed that he had run the cat over and had left him there to die.
This always happens to me when I see a dead animal. I get so angry that I have no choice but do something about it. I walked into the Harvey's and asked to see the manager and when she did appear I was surprised to see that she was a tiny little thing no more than twenty years old. What really made me angry though was her response to my telling her that a dead cat was blocking her entrance. Instead of doing something about it she just stood there chomping on her gum.
"That's not my responsibility."
Wrong answer.
"Get me a f***ing garbage bag and I'll do it myself then!" I swore loudly enough to make her stop chomping. When I went by today the poor little beast had been taken away.
Will someone please tell me when it was that as human beings we lost the capacity to care about other living beings?

No comments: