Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Shotgun

I recently came into contact with a very young woman (around 20) who is 3 months pregnant and is being forced to marry the boy who knocked her up. This is not her decision, it is her parents forcing the issue. She doesn't want to get married and truth be told she doesn't want the baby either; she is just going along with what her parents are telling her.
This young girl is so sad and angry at her situation that she can't see her way out of it. She asked me for advice and I told her that I thought she should stand up to her parents and tell them exactly what she wanted. And did she?
The wedding is scheduled for next week at City Hall.
Why would her parents force her into something that is doomed to fail from the start? Do they really want their daughter to go through a divorce and raise her unwanted child by herself all for the sake of appearances? She is only 20, still a baby herself, and she is nowhere near ready to be a wife and mother. What worked for one generation doesn't fit the next, when will people get that through their heads?

1 comment:

viki said...

Being a young mother having had my son at 18 I agree. People often looked at me with sadness as though to say, look at the baby with a baby...I only recognize it now. I also married the Father, my choice, but felt pressured by his parents that it was the only thing to do. We divorced at age 20.