Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Overcoat

Last night I had the joy of seeing Canadian Stage's production of Morris Panych's 'The Overcoat', and I can't remember the last time I was so moved by a piece of theater. 'The Overcoat' is based on a Russian short story set to the music of Dmitri Shostakovich of an ordinary man who acquires an extraordinary coat and how his appearance changes those around him. No words are spoken, but the emotion is so palpable that words are not needed. (To read reviews of 'The Overcoat' or for ticket information go to www.canstage.com.)

Seeing this play reminds me how glad I am to be a writer and performer; we have such a wealth of talent in this country, and yet our government continues to cut funding to arts programs across the country. It makes me sad to think that kids are growing up in this country without outlets like art, dance and drama programs to express themselves because some men and women in the government don't consider it a necessity. How sad is that?

I know I'm not alone in thinking how important it is that we support our performers; we are richer for productions like this in our community, and we can't just stand by and let the Canadian government continue to take money away. I will continue to see beautiful art like 'The Overcoat' and I will support my fellow performers in any way that I can because it not only makes me proud to be a performer, it also makes me proud to be a Canadian.

No comments: